Mr. Hammerle has represented clients in more than 100 jury trials in nearly every Indiana county and has helped clients secure not-guilty verdicts in federal and state courts from South Bend to Indianapolis to New Albany.
An Indiana native from Batesville, Mr. Hammerle began his legal career in 1973 after graduating from the I.U. McKinney School of Law. During his first 10 years of private practice, Mr. Hammerle served simultaneously as a part-time public defender in the Marion County Criminal Courts.
Over the years, Mr. Hammerle has represented a number of high-profile defendants in a variety of cases. Mr. Hammerle has handled cases involving murder and death penalty, forfeiture, grand jury investigations, juvenile matters, complex securities fraud cases, appellate representations, traffic infractions, DUI, and other general criminal defense matters. Mr. Hammerle treats every client as his most important client and approaches a legal argument on a speeding ticket as important as an oral argument before the Indiana Supreme Court.
When he is not practicing criminal defense law, Mr. Hammerle provides commentary on social issues on the local cable television show, "Opinions," and as a movie critic for The Indiana Lawyer.
Mr. Hammerle is admitted to practice in the State of Indiana, before the United States District Courts in the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, as well as before the Seventh Circuit.
He resides in Indianapolis with his wife, Monica Foster.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Criminal Law
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Indiana, 1973
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1973
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1973
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. - 1973
- Marion University, Indianapolis, Indiana
- B.A. - 1969
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: History
- Criminal Defendants on a State and Federal Level Including appeal
- Many criminal defense seminars over the years
Honors and Awards
- Gigeon Award, Indiana Public Defender Council, awarded for " zealous Representation" on behalf of indigent persons, 1996 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indianapolis Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Hammerle Law, Owner, 1973 - 2015
Pro Bono Activities
- Host exchange students from Saudi Arabia, 1995 - 2015
- Movie Reviews in the Indiana Lawyer, 2014 - 2015